Wrestler Sushil Kumar storms into finals at the London Olympics, assures India of at least a silver medal
Sushil Kumar assured himself of a second straight Olympic medal by powering into the men’s 66 kg freestyle wrestling final at the London Games here on Sunday.
Sushil, bronze medallist in Beijing four years ago, edged out Kazakhstan’s Akzhurek Tanatarov 3-1 in a thrilling semi-final at the ExCel Arena. He faces Japanese Tatsuhiro Yonemitsu in the gold medal play-off later in the day.
Earlier, Sushil muscled his way into the last four beating Ikhtiyor Navruzov of Uzbekistan 3-1.
The Indian could have wrapped up the fight in period 2 but Navruzov turned the tables on him with six seconds remaining.
Sushil got the measure of his opponent in period 3, winning it 2-0 to seal the contest.
- IPL in crisis: BCCI meets today to chalk out course of action against three arrested cricketers ~ Cricket, Featured 19 May , at 9:52 AM
- Spot-fixing: Not IPL, dirty cricketers have let India down, says BCCI chief ~ Cricket, Featured 19 May , at 9:40 AM
- PICTURES: Beckham family bid farewell to football: David joins sons on pitch to say tearful goodbye to beautiful game as Posh and Harper watch ~ Featured, Sports 19 May , at 6:38 AM
- IPL6 sleaze: Bookies, Jiju had planned sex videos of Sreesanth, other players ~ Cricket, Featured 18 May , at 3:40 PM
- IPL6 spot-fixing: Arrested cricketers reveal names of at least 10 players to Delhi Police ~ Cricket, Featured 18 May , at 11:58 AM