Egyptian President Mohammed Mursi today sacked the powerful Army chief and his No 2 and annulled a constitutional amendment issued by the generals, in a drastic move by the new-to-power Islamists to shuffle the top brass of the entrenched military.
Mursi packed off Field Marshal Hussein Tantawi as well as the second-in-command General Sami Anan into “retirement” and appointed both of them as ‘advisers’ to the president. Both of them were also given Egypt’s highest state honour—the Nile Medal.
The shock announcement over state television came amid an ongoing military operation in Sinai, where 16 soldiers were killed in an attack by militants last week.
- Nigella Lawson is seen without her wedding ring close to Mayfair bolthole where she has been living apart from husband Charles Saatchi ~ Entertainment, Featured 20 Jun , at 3:33 PM
- Emmy winner Archie Panjabi promotes polio eradication program ~ Featured, International News 20 Jun , at 3:26 PM
- Jaipur police finds 256 steamy video clips of honeymoon couples from hotel manager ~ Featured, India News 20 Jun , at 3:23 PM
- Yamuna level in Delhi receding, water enters Ring Road ~ Faridabad NCR, Featured 20 Jun , at 11:37 AM
- Uttarakhand flood fury: Thousands missing, 62,000 stranded ~ Featured, India News 20 Jun , at 11:30 AM