India’s crucial monsoon rains were 50 per cent below average in the past week, the weather office said on Thursday, a second week of scant rain and confirmation the four-month season has got off to a slow start.
But experts said there was no urgent cause for concern, with crops not greatly affected by the quantity of rains at this early stage. More important for growth is rainfall distribution from mid-July after the monsoon hits the entire country.
“There is no reason to press any panic button at this stage as the rainfall activities are expected to improve,” said AK Singh, deputy director-general of the state-run Indian Council of Agricultural Research.
- Namaste, Jackie Chan gives back love to Indian fans ~ Featured, India News 19 Jun , at 1:33 PM
- Nasha 2 shooting to start this year ~ Entertainment, Featured 19 Jun , at 1:32 PM
- LIVE: गौरीकुंड से 5000 लापता, नहीं निकल सके हैं हरभजन ~ Featured, India News 19 Jun , at 1:20 PM
- 1000 से ज्यादा लोग मरे हैं उत्तराखंड में, सुषमा स्वराज ~ Featured, India News 19 Jun , at 1:16 PM
- Bihar BJP to sit in opposition ~ Featured, India News 19 Jun , at 1:08 PM