Sangakkara, who was stranded on an unbeaten 199 in the first Test at Galle, was dismissed for 192 after helping Sri Lanka avoid the embarrassment of a follow-on on the fifth and final day.
The hosts, who began the day needing 74 more runs to make Pakistan bat again, were all out for 391 in the post-lunch session in reply to Pakistan’s 551-6 declared.
Pakistan, leading by 160 runs on the first innings, made 100-2 in their second knock when skipper Misbah-ul Haq close the innings soon after tea to attempt an unlikely win.
Sri Lanka appeared disinterested in chasing the tough victory target of 261 in 37 overs and were 86-2 in 22 overs when the match was called off at the Sinhalese Sports Club.
Sri Lanka will head for the third and final Test in Pallekele from Sunday with a 1-0 lead, having won the opening encounter in Galle by 209 runs.
The home side, who began the day at 278-5, were steered out of trouble by a 89-run stand for the sixth wicket between Sangakkara and Angelo Mathews (47).
But Mathews’ dismissal soon after lunch triggered a middle-order collapse in which Sri Lanka lost their last five wickets for 21 runs.
- Spotted: Vindu Dara Singh with Sakshi Dhoni at Chennai's match against Mumbai Indians ~ Cricket, Featured 21 May , at 7:11 PM
- IPL spot fixing: Former Ranji player Baburao Yadav arrested ~ Cricket, Featured 21 May , at 11:33 AM
- हर बॉल पर पैसा चाहता था श्रीसंथ, डर के मारे फेंकने लगा नो बॉल ~ Cricket, Featured 21 May , at 8:29 AM
- IPL6 fixing: PIL before Supreme Court seeking probe by SIT ~ Cricket, Featured 20 May , at 7:23 PM
- IPL fixing: Brad Hodge, Kevon Cooper, Siddharth Trivedi snubbed Chandila, refused to cheat fans ~ Cricket, Featured 20 May , at 9:46 AM